Here we go 2022!
Welcome to our first blog and newsletter for 2022.
I just wanted to say a big thank you again for all the support in launching our business.
Our monthly blog and newsletter is a place where we casually discuss industry updates, updates within our business, anything fun and exciting that we believe is relevant. Its also a platform that we want to utilize to educate - where we can make topics and issues less scary and difficult to understand.
Okay lets get stuck into it!
Free Trade Agreements:
There has been a lot of movement in the FTA space, here are the latest ratified (active) FTAs that you may not be aware of and should take into consideration when looking at potential suppliers.
- Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (RCEP) - In Force as of the 01/01/2022.
RCEP is a regional trade agreement between Australia and the ten Association of Southeast Asian Nation (ASEAN) Member States, China, Japan Korea and New Zealand. The ten ASEAN Member States are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
RCEP will enter into force for the Republic of Korea on 1 February 2022.
RCEP has not yet entered into force for Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar or the Philippines.
- The Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP).
This is a fantastic FTA to look at for originating goods out of Canada, Mexico & Peru.
- Australia and the UK FTA (AUKFTA)
Exciting news on the AUS & UK FTA. This FTA has now been signed by both countries and is now in the process of going through Australian parliament to be approved and ratified. It is expected to come into force in 2022 - please watch the below space for further updates as to when it will come into force.
- Australia-India Comprehensive Economic Cooperation Agreement (AI-CECA)
One FTA to watch is Al-CECA. India is quickly becoming a favorite in alternate sourcing to China. This FTA has been in the works for years, however negotiations started again last September, with it being stated that both countries hope to reach an agreement by the end of 2022.
Further updates and info can be found here:
DFAT is a valuable resource. We highly recommend when looking into new products/suppliers/country's, that DFAT is reviewed prior. https://www.dfat.gov.au/trade/agreements/trade-agreements
ABF Goods Compliance Update:
ABF issued their latest compliance update in November 2021.
Main points that we want to draw your attention to as importers is the Trade Compliance News Section. Topics touched upon are prohibited imports, commerce labelling issues, imported chemicals.
Reminder on correctly identifying the delivery address for customs reporting. It is essential to provider your customs broker with the correct delivery address before they lodge the formal customs entry. It is a legal requirement to ensure this declaration is correct and it is a highly reviewed and audited aspect of non-compliance.
Please do reach out to us if you are unsure of your compliance requirements as an importer. We can assist with Goods Compliance Reviews to provide you with guidance to ensure your importations meet the relevant legislative requirements.
- RAT Test Importing Requirements can be located here:
- Addition of China to the BMSB Emerging Risk Country List
Quarantine has seen an increase in detections of live BMSB in some containerised commodities originating in China, the department will be adding China as an emerging risk country for the remainder of the 2021-22 BMSB season.
The increased random inspection activities will apply to the following goods:
Goods manufactured in, or shipped from China and,
FCL / FCX containers – for goods shipped in sealed 6 hard sided containers and,
Goods tariffed as Chapters 39, 68, 69, 70, 73, 84, 85 and 89.
We will be monitoring this closely for the remainder of the year and will advise if the department decides to add China onto the BMSB list of target countries for 2022-23 season.
OSCL Internal News:
- We are Quarantine Approved!
OneSource has been Class 19 AEP approved on a corporate level.
This is fantastic news.
Once we achieve our customs corporate license, this will allow us to lodge entries under the Biosecurity Automatic Entry Scheme.
- OSCL to participate in MS 50KM for May
We are super excited to be participating as a company in the MS 50KM in May.
I have been a volunteer for MS QLD for many years. This is the first year, we will be virtually taking part in the physical activities and raising money, instead of standing on the sidelines as race marshals supporting event participants.
OSCL has set a goal to raise 500.00 AUD, as well as reaching 100Kms in the month of May.
If you would like to donate to our cause, please support us at the following link: https://www.themay50k.org/fundraisers/onesourcecustomslogistics
Your donation will support research into the prevention, treatment and finding a cure for multiple sclerosis to change lives.
Interesting News Articles:
- https://theloadstar.com/five-eyes-widens-focus-onto-supply-chain-collusion-and-cartel-conduct/ - This is a fantastic read, good to see these country's industry bodies and governments finally reviewing the price gauging and non-competitive behavior, as well as criminal activities.
- https://www.ftalliance.com.au/news/25860 - We are going to see further increase port terminal fees in 2022.
- https://splash247.com/pil-to-fine-clients-who-misdeclare-cargo-weight/ - We will see many carriers follow suit. We strongly encourage your suppliers to arrange container weighing one cargo has been stuffed and providing a container weight declarations.
- https://splash247.com/global-port-congestion-shows-little-sign-of-improvement/ - Global Port Congestion outlook for second quarter of 2022.
- https://splash247.com/putins-invasion-of-ukraine-seen-hiking-tonne-mile-picture-for-shipping/ - We need to prepare for further shipping price increases and possible sanctions imposed against Russia.
Please feel free to comment below or send us an email if you would like us to discuss a specific topic or any topic we have discussed above.
Wishing you all a fantastic March.
Canberra delivering the goods.
We are lucky to live in such a beautiful city...